Design for Accessibilty
Eildon Holiday Cottages were originally designed from the realisation that it was impossible for families with disabled and severely disabled members to find any suitable self-catering holiday accommodation with facilities for all the family to take a holiday together. The strength of the complex is that able-bodied and disabled visitors can holiday together without differentiation. Disabled people can holiday alone (independent wheelchair user), with family, or with professional carers living in the cottage to provide the necessary support.
The accommodation has been designed to be homely and to have a “cottage” feel whilst incorporating the necessary equipment for the severely disabled in a non-clinical and unobtrusive way. There are five cottages, all of which have at least one downstairs bedroom and bath or shower room and very special kitchens. In addition there is The Granary, a first floor apartment, which of course is not suitable for the less able but which nonetheless incorporates many of the special features of the cottages.
Access to the cottages and easy manoeuvrability within them is ideal for the disabled. Each cottage has its own single car parking space immediately outside the front door. There are no steps or ramps throughout. All cottages have 34” doorways and wide passages, accessible plugs and switches at wheelchair height and low windows. All taps (faucets) are lever taps and there are plenty of grab rails and kick plates. There are no low cupboard doors or wardrobe doors (we use curtains).
A two level system has been used in all the kitchens, with sinks, cookers and hob units at wheelchair level. Oven and hob controls are at the front . Cottages with bathrooms have ample side loading to the bath. Cottages with showers have shower rooms – not cabinets.
We provide a range of disabled equipment. Please see the Equipment List (on the drop-down below the Accessibilty tab above) for available items and rental charges. Two of the cottages have optional overhead electric ceiling hoists with continuous track to transport from bed to toilet and to bath (Single Tree Cottage - Wessex)) or shower (Langrig - Spectra). A portable hoist is available for use in the all five accessible cottages, and three of the cottages have a fixed ceiling trapeze pull. We can also provide an electric height-adjustable profiling bed. All equipment must be specifically hired and individually confirmed on the Booking Confirmation.
Langrig bedroom and en-suite wet room shower room below set up with electric profiling bed and ceiling tracking hoist
We provide all linen and towels, and duvets on the beds. Many of the beds are height adjustable. There is a biomass central heating system, but additional electric radiators are also provided in all bedrooms for added comfort. Electricity is separately metered and charged. No gas is used.
All of the cottages are designated non-smoking.
We are dog and cat friendly, with well behaved pets welcome in all cottages.
We also provide other special equipment for disabled guests, as well as cots and high chairs for infants - see Equipment List on the drop down below the Accessibility tab above.
We have a Visit Scotland (Scottish Tourist Board) listing of 4 stars (2 cottages) and 3 stars (4 cottages) and the highest accessibility grading of Category 1: suitable for wheelchair users travelling independently (5 cottages).
For local caring services who can help you during your holiday contact:
Border Caring Services (Selkirk) on 01750 505068 or click on www.bordercaringservices.org.uk
Caddon Healthcare (Melrose) on 01896 820333 or click on www.caddon-healthcare.co.uk
Category 1 Cottages:
- Five of the six cottages are graded Category 1.
- All have at least one bedroom on the ground floor level,with either a bathroom or wheel-in shower room.
- Grab rails in bath and shower rooms and let-down rails beside WCs.
- Ample side-loading to WCs.
- All doorways at least 780mm wide, most over 800mm.
- Low-level switches.
- Low-level windows.
- There is one high-level arm chair in each cottage, 22 inches from the ground.
- Level throughout the ground floors. No ramps or steps.
- Accessible kitchens with some low level worktops.
- Accessible sinks and hobs. No low-level cupboards.
- All accessible bedrooms have the minimum required wheelchair turning space.
- Overhead electric ceiling hoists are available in Single Tree Cottage ('Wessex' Hoist) and Langrig ('Spectra' Hoist); Single Tree Cottage from bedroom to bathroom, Langrig from bedroom to wheel-in shower room. Most downstairs beds are height adjustable (manual).
- Winner of the Holiday Care Service award for the best self-catering accommodation for disabled people in Britain
- Winner of the Tourism for All award for the best facilities for disabled people in Scotland
- Special mention in National Civic Trust awards
- Central Borders’ Civic Trust Special Award for Excellence
- Scottish Tourist Board 4 star accreditation
- Holiday Care Service Category 1 – suitable for wheelchair users travelling independently
For recommended accessible accommodation in south-west France visit www.montargent.com