Design for Accessibilty
Eildon Holiday Cottages were originally designed from the realisation that it was impossible for families with disabled and severely disabled members to find any suitable self-catering holiday accommodation with facilities for all the family to take a holiday together. The strength of the complex is that able-bodied and disabled visitors can holiday together without differentiation. Disabled people can holiday alone (independent wheelchair user), with family, or with professional carers living in the cottage to provide the necessary support.
- Five of our six cottages are graded Category 1 – the best possible Tourist Board grading for wheelchair accessibility. When the complex was first built it won several awards for accessibility including best self catering for disabled people in Britain. The cottages were designed specifically for wheelchair users.
- All have at least one bedroom on the ground floor level, with either a bathroom or wheel-in shower room. There is a range of shower chairs or a bath bench available to use free of charge.
- Grab rails in bath and shower rooms and let-down rails beside WCs.
- Ample side-loading to WCs.
- Two Cottages have optional ceiling tracking hoists (Langrig has a Spectra hoist and Single Tree Cottage has a Freeway P-200 hoist – £12.00 hire charge per day). Portable hoists are also available to hire.
- Electric profiling beds and pressure relieving mattress systems available to hire. Electric profiling beds can be installed in Hamiltons, Single Tree Cottage, Howlands and Langrig. It is not possible to install electric profiling beds in The Croft or The Granary.
- All cottages have one high back armchair. An electric rise and recline armchair is available to hire (£25.00 hire charge).
- Ground floor beds are height adjustable – if you need a specific bed height for easy transfer just tell us when booking.
- The Borders General Hospital is less than 1 mile away.
To view our Holiday Cottage Accessibility Guides please click on the links below:
- Hamiltons Cottage Accessibility Guide
- Single Tree Cottage Accessibility Guide
- Howlands Cottage Accessibility Guide
- Langrig Cottage Accessibility Guide
- The Croft Cottage Accessibility Guide
Recommended local Carers who can tailor their service to suit guests’ individual requirments:
- Independant Living Services £17.52 per hour – 01896 751693 www.ilsscotland.com
- Border Caring Services – 01750 505068 www.bordercaringservices.org.uk
- Caddon Healthcare – 01896 820333 www.caddon-healthcare.co.uk
- Donna Boak (live in carer) – 07825 127624
Shower Chairs available to use free of charge
The accommodation has been designed to be homely and to have a “cottage” feel whilst incorporating the necessary equipment for the severely disabled in a non-clinical and unobtrusive way. There are five cottages which have at least one downstairs bedroom and bath or shower room and very special kitchens. In addition there is The Granary, a first floor apartment, which of course is not suitable for the less able but which nonetheless incorporates many of the special features of the cottages.
Access to the cottages and easy manoeuvrability within them is ideal for the disabled. Each cottage has its own single car parking space immediately outside the front door. There are no steps or ramps throughout. All cottages have 34” doorways and wide passages, accessible plugs and switches at wheelchair height and low windows. All taps (faucets) are lever taps and there are plenty of grab rails and kick plates. There are no low cupboard doors or wardrobe doors (we use curtains).
A two level system has been used in all the kitchens, with sinks, cookers and hob units at wheelchair level. Oven and hob controls are at the front . Cottages with bathrooms have ample side loading to the bath. Cottages with ground floor showers have wet room shower rooms – not cabinets.
We provide a range of disabled equipment. Please click on the Equipment List highlighted in green above for available items and rental charges. Two of the cottages have optional overhead electric ceiling tracking hoists with continuous track to transport from bed to toilet and to bath (Single Tree Cottage – Wessex)) or shower (Langrig – Spectra). A portable hoist is available for use in all five accessible cottages, and three of the cottages have a fixed ceiling trapeze pull. We can also provide an electric height-adjustable profiling bed. All equipment must be specifically hired and individually confirmed on the Booking Confirmation.
Beds & Towels
We provide all linen and towels, and duvets on the beds. Many of the beds are height adjustable. There is a biomass central heating system, but additional electric radiators are also provided in all bedrooms as a back up heating system or for guests who require additional heat. Electricity is separately metered and charged. No gas is used.
All of the cottages are designated non-smoking.
We are dog and cat friendly, with well behaved pets welcome in all cottages (additional charge of £15 per dog).
We also provide other special equipment for disabled guests, as well as cots and high chairs for infants – see Equipment List highlighted in green above.
We have a Visit Scotland (Scottish Tourist Board) listing of 4 stars (2 cottages) and 3 stars (4 cottages) and the highest accessibility grading of Category 1: suitable for wheelchair users travelling independently (5 cottages).
More Accessible Features
- All doorways at least 780mm wide, most over 800mm.
- Low-level switches.
- Low-level windows.
- There is one high-level high-back arm chair in each cottage, 22 inches from the ground.
- Level throughout the ground floors. No ramps or steps.
- Accessible kitchens with some low level worktops.
- Accessible sinks and hobs. No low-level cupboards.
- All accessible bedrooms have the minimum required wheelchair turning space.
- Overhead electric ceiling hoists are available in Single Tree Cottage (‘Wessex’ Hoist) and Langrig (‘Spectra’ Hoist); Single Tree Cottage from bedroom to bathroom, Langrig from bedroom to wheel-in shower room. Most downstairs beds are height adjustable (manual).
Thank you so much for arranging the special furniture for Mum. All was perfect! We will definitely come back. Boris made us feel very welcome despite our mad dog! Thanks again.
Our 3 night stay was all too short. Holiday was made by the perfect accommodation. Rob was very helpful and friendly. The views speak for themselves and the birdlife is outstanding. Wife and father-in-law delighted with the early morning visit of a woodpecker. Profiling bed made father-in-law’s stay as comfortable as ours. We will be back but may need to book earlier next time as I am sure word will be getting out!
Thank you for an amazing stay! So accessible for our son Luke – with great adaptations! Beautiful surroundings and great dog walks – the porch was a bonus for wet dogs to dry off on the one day that it rained. We hope to be back